Monday, January 21, 2008

Shitty first drafts

My writing process I would have to go with it being more of a sloppy and then formulating a way to make it presentable. My freshman and Sophomore year I was part of the speech team my high school had. I was involved in a few different events but what I excelled at was Impromptu. for those who don't know what that is it is simply a judge gives a completely random prompt and you have 1.5 minutes to write and give a 6.5 minute speech on it. Doing this allowed me to shift through the junk in my head and just quickly find important aspects of the topic and maybe if I have time come up with subplots to it. Then while up there fine polish the ideas in my head and make them seem like I've known the topic for ages. I think that anything blogging which I've done in the past isn't suppose to be perfect I think its a place to vent, but even with that said I'm not going to write that way. In my other blog I use slang and other writing shortcuts that I like. With this blog I'm trying to write properly and with correct grammar. If I could I would speak differently, a more natural vent typing not this school worried about my grade typing.

1 comment:

Miss Villegas said...

Sounds like your experience with speech team has given you some great tools that will be valuable in many areas of your life (interviews, papers, discussions, etc).